VICA is Hiring!
Legislative Affairs Manager – Position Opening
Job Description:The Legislative Affairs Manager is responsible for advocating for business issues on local, state and federal levels, as well as advocating policies, legislation and regulation that are conducive to a positive and successful business environment through the engagement of our members.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Serve as an advocate for VICA on the federal, state, county and city levels of government through VICA’s advocacy efforts
- Attend VICA committee and board meetings for the purpose of identifying and facilitating advocacy action beyond regularly scheduled meetings
- Engage with members to understand their policy/issue priorities and how VICA can advocate for them
- Responsible for issue areas and committees could include Aviation; Education; Energy, Environment, Manufacturing & Utilities; Sports, Entertainment, Tourism & Hospitality; Healthcare; International Affairs; Land Use; Labor & Employment; and Transportation, in addition to other general policy areas. These issues are split between legislative affairs managers and you are the expert for your issues
- Develop a strong network with key members of city, county, regional, state and federal governmental staff so that immediate contacts can facilitate VICA’s position
- Responsible for effectively representing VICA before elected officials, community leaders and the public
- Staff VICA’s public policy committees as assigned as well as special task forces and industry councils as needed
- Maintain VICA advocacy database and tracks legislation on related VICA positions
- Research legislation at local, state and federal levels, and advise committee chairs and president of issues that may impact VICA members
- Organize effective support or opposition on adopted key issues. Writing position papers, articles, press releases as such pertaining to the issues you are responsible for
- Proactively identify communication and advocacy opportunities that fit with VICA’s goals and strategy
- Work with other staff writing and developing content for newsletters
- Preparing and coaching the President, Chair and VICA members for media interviews and press conferences, includes developing talking points and press releases
- Ghostwriting VICA op-eds and columns, published in outlets including, Los Angeles Daily News, Los Angeles Business Journal, Business Life Magazine, Santa Clarita Valley Business Journal
- Work with other staff managing content and updates for the VICA website as well as maintaining VICA's social media presence
- Recruiting, mentoring and managing college interns and volunteers
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in political science or communications
- Legislative experience a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in project management, policy analysis and issue development
- Ability to produce a large quantity of work at high quality in a team environment
- Ability to work well with VICA volunteers and staff at all levels
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, and internet research. Experience with InDesign a plus
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; salaried exempt full-time. Excellent Benefits Package including Medical/Dental/Vision, Generous Paid Vacation and Personal Days, Retirement Investment Plan, Life Insurance
About VICA: VICA is widely considered one of the most influential business advocacy organizations in Southern California. With its knowledge of the legislative process and economic issues, VICA's access to public officials ensures that the San Fernando Valley's business perspective will be heard in the interest of improving our business climate and quality of life. With input and guidance from its members, VICA maintains a regular presence at all levels of government to effectively represent Valley businesses. For more information, visit www.vica.com.
Please submit resumes and cover letter to VICA Legislative Affairs Director Elizabeth Hawley at firstname.lastname@example.org.