VICA IS HIRING
Legislative Affairs Manager (Temporarily Virtual)
The Legislative Affairs Manager is responsible for advocating for business issues on local, state and federal levels, as well as advocating policies, legislation and regulation that are conducive to a positive and successful business environment through the engagement of our members. This position will be temporarily remote and could change contingent on local and state public health orders.
Detailed Responsibilities and Expectations:
- • Serve as an advocate for VICA on the federal, state, county and city levels of government through VICA’s advocacy efforts
- • Attend VICA committee and board meetings for the purpose of identifying and facilitating advocacy action beyond regularly scheduled meetings
- • Engage with members to understand their policy/issue priorities and how VICA can advocate for them
- • Responsible for issue areas and committees could include Aviation; Education; Energy, Environment, Manufacturing & Utilities; Sports, Entertainment, Tourism & Hospitality; Healthcare; International Affairs; Land Use; Labor & Employment; and Transportation, in addition to other general policy areas. These issues are split between legislative affairs managers and you are the expert for your issues
- Develop a strong network with key members of city, county, regional, state and federal governmental staff so that immediate contacts can facilitate VICA’s position
- • Responsible for effectively representing VICA before elected officials, community leaders and the public
- • Staff VICA’s public policy committees as assigned as well as special task forces and industry councils as needed
- • Maintain VICA advocacy database and tracks legislation on related VICA positions
- • Research legislation at local, state and federal levels, and advise committee chairs and president of issues that may impact VICA members
- • Organize effective support or opposition on adopted key issues. Writing position papers, articles, press releases as such pertaining to the issues you are responsible for
- • Proactively identify communication and advocacy opportunities that fit with VICA’s goals and strategy
- • Work with other staff writing and developing content for newsletters
- • Preparing and coaching the President, Chair and VICA members for media interviews and press conferences, includes developing talking points and press releases
- • Ghostwriting VICA op-eds and columns, published in outlets including, Los Angeles Daily News, Los Angeles Business Journal, Business Life Magazine, Santa Clarita Valley Business Journal
- • Work with other staff managing content and updates for the VICA website as well as maintaining VICA's social media presence
- • Recruiting, mentoring and managing college interns and volunteers
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in political science or communications
• Legislative experience a plus
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience in project management, policy analysis and issue development
• Ability to produce a large quantity of work at high quality in a team environment
• Ability to work well with VICA volunteers and staff at all levels
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, and internet research. Experience with InDesign a plus
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent Benefits Package including: employer covers 100% of Medical/Dental/Vision premiums, Paid Vacation (Years 1-2: 10 days, Years 3-5: 15 days, etc.), 11 Paid Holidays, and 12 Paid Sick Days, Retirement Investment Plan with Employer Matching, Life Insurance.
About VICA: VICA is widely considered one of the most influential business advocacy organizations in Southern California. With its knowledge of the legislative process and economic issues, VICA's access to public officials ensures that the San Fernando Valley's business perspective will be heard in the interest of improving our business climate and quality of life. With input and guidance from its members, VICA maintains a regular presence at all levels of government to effectively represent Valley businesses.
For more information, visit www.vica.com.
Please submit resume and cover letter to VICA Vice President Jessica Yasukochi at Jessica@vica.com.
VICA Internship - Legislative, Membership & Communications (Remote)
Looking for opportunities to learn, engage and optimize your business experience. Look no further… The Valley Industry & Commerce Association (VICA) is looking for Legislative, Membership and Communications interns to help with research, outreach, prospecting, public policy engagement and more. Please send your resume and any experience materials to Shauna Carter at Shauna@vica.com for application. We look forward to working with you.
Description of Role
VICA’s internships are guaranteed to provide students and those searching to explore other career opportunities with communication and policy experience opportunities. Interns can attend special events featuring top policymakers, business leaders from across the region, learn about public policy issues, harness advocacy skills and build communications for outreach and business engagement.
VICA internships are unpaid and part-time. VICA is happy to work around school schedules and may be eligible for college and/or university course credits.
- Assist with drafting language to support VICA’s legislative advocacy
- Support creation for online resources, including the organization’s website
- Attend and assist with event coverage and media relations, as needed
- Aid in posting and development for social media campaigns
- Research local businesses/leaders for prospective member data and cultivation
- Gather and draft information language for collateral and communications development
- Outreach to members and prospects for engagement and invitation
Applicant Requirements & Skills
- Pursuing an associate's, undergraduate or graduate degree in communications, public relations, or related field (or has achieved a degree)
- Writing and press release development with enhanced communication skills
- Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Public & Media relations and social media experience
- Additional experiences and expertise are a plus
About Valley Industry and Commerce Association (VICA)
VICA is a business advocacy organization based in Van Nuys that represents employers throughout the Los Angeles County region at the local, state and federal levels of government. VICA is widely considered one of the most influential business advocacy organizations in Southern California. With input and guidance from its members, VICA maintains a regular presence at all levels of government to effectively represent Valley businesses.
What to Expect Following Application
VICA will review applicant submissions and a staff member will be in touch to schedule an interview and next steps, as applicable.
If interested, submit application (resume and cover letter) to Shauna Carter, Membership Manager at Shauna@vica.com.