Legislative Affairs Associate – Position Opening
Job Description:The Legislative Affairs Associate will support the legislative affairs team advocating on issues impacting business at the local, state and federal levels. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent graduate to work in a fast-paced environment on a wide range of policy issues, with opportunities to learn, grow the role, and gain valuable networks and experience.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Track and research state bills, local agendas, local motions and ordinances, and other policy developments; maintain advocacy database; keep legislative team informed on issue development
- Research and prepare policy position papers, letters, op-eds, action alerts, press releases, talking points, and blog entries
- Work with other staff writing and developing content for member communications and weekly newsletter
- Proactively identify communication and advocacy opportunities that fit with VICA’s goals and strategy
- Prepare and post content for social media channels; track social media mentions and engagement
- Develop a strong network with key members of city, county, regional, state and federal governmental staff
- Engage with members to understand their policy/issue priorities and how VICA can advocate for them
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in political science or communications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to produce a large quantity of high quality work in a team environment
- Ability to work well with VICA volunteers and staff at all levels
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and internet research.
- Legislative or other government/policy experience
- Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop or Illustrator
- Experience in project management, policy analysis and issue development
- Communications/corporate social media experience
Salary and Hours: 40 hours/week, Competitive Hourly Pay DOE, Excellent Benefits Package including Medical/Dental/Vision, Generous Paid Vacation and Personal Days, Retirement Investment Plan, Life Insurance
About VICA: VICA is widely considered one of the most influential business advocacy organizations in Southern California. With its knowledge of the legislative process and economic issues, VICA's access to public officials ensures that the San Fernando Valley's business perspective will be heard in the interest of improving our business climate and quality of life. With input and guidance from its members, VICA maintains a regular presence at all levels of government to effectively represent Valley businesses. For more information, visit www.vica.com.
Please submit resumes and cover letter to VICA Vice President Jessica Yasukochi at email@example.com.